Thursday, September 24, 2009

Computer and Me

Class IX....sunny, winter afternoon and 2 days to go for christmas...

So what is the great gift this year... me and my sis wondered.... Some possible ones were on cards and we had guessed a few plausible gifts from dad considering the fact that not so non-verbal cues were constantly being hurled at him ;)

Finally our wishes were granted and we opened a brand new desktop.. Our first personal computer for just the two of us....
The excitement was all over ...... being extremely illiterate in comp usage (imagine to have learnt opening and using a word doc through memorized instructions in class 6 ;) ) with experience limited to playing games and surfing tits and bits,,, this was paradise for us.......

2 years later .. comp was a part and parcel of our existence,,, studying at IIT made it so indispensable and so addictive that life couldnt be imagined without it... I remember having most of the fights with my sis over it.... Chats, googling, random searches and not to forget the elixir - the very own IIT LAN to download movies, songs, sitcoms and sometimes precious reading material......

And then came IIM, the comp here was a virtual classroom,,, everything on earth through that one single comp... It was here through dbab that I learnt how one single device with a net connection can become the strongest linkage to the outside world and by outside i meant - my next door neighbours, my groupmates/ friends/ classmates living 2 blocks away, my teachers/RAs sending us quiz notifications..... That one single thing was the ultimate lifeline, the beacon of survival.....

And now 1.25 years into the job, the comp remains the single most powerful ammunition in my hand,,, but like all comp users, I have also moved up the heirarchy of addiction..... The computer commands now control my life..... I so many times do a 'Ctrl-Z' in real world wishing the virtual effect but alas thats not to happen... extra salt in the curry... wish there was a 'Ctrl-Z'; took the wrong turn on the road, Oh why no Ctrl-Z; I just wrote thisrakhi letter on the paper for cousin 1.. can I Ctrl-C it on the next page..... and the list goes on and on... when I have remembered those comp commands....

And so looks like thats it.... 5 more years with 12 hrs a day devoted to comp, I am sure gonna be a 'Computeroid' or a maniac wishing to merge the virtual and the real world.... HELP !!!!

3 comments:

DK said...

LOL @ Computeroid!!

Though i think, it would have been much worse if we could simulate all "computer commands" in real life

Senor Ramirez said...

Reminds me of a time when I played aoe for 10 hours; and then kept thinking " why not drive into that truck, i can always save and reload ' :P

Ranjeet Bhide said...

nice :)
refreshing!